My Recommended Reading List
A book, good or bad, will forever alter the way you view the world. Once you have read those pages, you can never remove the propositions presented before you, but you can read critically, and with a discerning mind. The number one most recommended book I would have on my list before you read any books at all would be How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren. This one classic book will change the way you read and look at all books going forward. It should be required reading for anyone interested in reading another book.
This page is dedicated to my Recommended Reading List, that is those books I have read (and some I want to read). They are broken up into the same categories I have developed on my site, my Journal, Faith, Technology, and Photography, plus a Bonus blogroll section for some great sites that don’t quite fit in any of those categories (like your site perhaps). Over the years I have grown to appreciate the art of reading way beyond anything I had ever learned in grade school.
This list of books here are just books that have stood out in my life of reading, and have made some impact on my in one way or another. Not all are books I agree with (such as Rob Bell’s Love Wins), but all are books that have altered my understanding. To see an active list of books I would like to read, visit my Amazon reading wish list, or my Amazon Kindle profile page, which will show you what books I’m currently reading on Kindle. True wisdom is found in the pages of these books listed below.
Journal Reading (More Casual Reading for Enjoyment)
- East of Eden
- site two
- site three
Faith Reading (Theology to Church History)
- Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metasas
- Books by Augustine, Calvin, Luther, Jonathan Edwards, John Piper, etc
- The Life of God in the Soul of Man by Henry Scougal
- God’s Passion for His Glory : Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards by John Piper and Jonathan Edwards
- The Life and Diary of David Brainerd by David Brainerd and edited by Jonathan Edwards
- The Next Story: Life and Faith after the Digital Explosion by Tim Challies
- Viral: How Social Networking is Poised to Ignite Revival by Leonard Sweet
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
- Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition by Bryan Peterson
- Books by John Shaw
- 100 Best Astrophotography Targets: A Monthly Guide by Ruben Kier
- Galen Rowell’s Inner Game of Outdoor Photography by Galen Rowell [metaphysical]
If you have other suggestions, I would love to hear them. Please leave a comment below, I may include the site here on this page. This page is currently being updated [July 2012].